Length: 5 Weeks
In marquetry, a scroll saw is used to cut veneers which are then assembled to form a picture or design and applied to a surface. It can be framed or incorporated into furniture. Guest instructor, Betsy Pepper, will teach you to utilize the grain, figure and color of various wood veneers to form images in wood. You will learn to layout, trace, cut, tape, glue and press your design. Repairing common mistakes will be covered and you can experiment with “sand shading”.
You will need to purchase some tools and materials listed below.
Dates: Spring 2024
Time: Sundays, 9am- 1pm
Marquetry tool list:
- self-healing cutting mat – available at art supply stores
- 3/4” blue tape
- tracing paper – Canson’s is good(Available at Blick’s, on-line, etc.)The more sheer the better.
- Carbon or graphite paper or transfer paper (Office Depot, etc.)Try to get some that is smudge resistant. It is sometimes nice to have white or yellow – but I will have some if you cannot find.
- several #2 pencils
- An X-acto knife
- 3/4” paper veneer tape, leevalley.com (cheapest option I found) white is best.
- sponge and plastic lid or small plastic tub